Wednesday, January 03, 2018

HALO!

So I got my tax stamp today and went to pick up my new suppressor.

The can is a Gemtech HALO, and Aaron of the Shekel and I each bought one several months back. They were listed as used demo models, but when I first saw mine, I was shocked to find nary a sign of use on it...and for less than half the price of a new one.

Anyway, it fits nice on my 16" carbine that I built up post-Sandy Hook, when it really looked like the Dems had the numbers and the resolve to hose us on ARs. But they did not, and as a result, I ended up with two more ARs that I really didn't need. One is my Special Purpose Rifle (SPR) and the other is this handy carbine, now decked out for quietness.


The older HALO is still a bit on the heavy side, and it's noticeable but not impossible to deal with. But it makes the rifle "hearing safe' by lowering the decibel level to the point where hearing protection is not required. (Still a good idea in non-emergency shooting though, but this rifle exists for emergencies.)

The HALO can also be moved between other rifles with NATO flash hiders but for some reason it would not quite fit onto my SPR, which also has a standard AR-15 flash hider. Oh well...guess I got to get another can just for that rifle. (I was gonna do it anyway.)

Happy times.

NOTE: For Unhappy times, check out Aaron's post about how the same seller, Stephen Douglass at Paducah Tactical in Kentucky, screwed him out of a suppressor and his money. Fuck you, Stephen Douglass!

9 comments:

  1. or you could get a different flash hider that worked with the Halo - but that wouldn't be as much fun in the long run would it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet.

    As of 1/1 you must have a license to buy ammunition in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A license that so far the state hasn't issued to dealers so there is currently nobody in the the state that can (legally) sell ammo - they could get all of the new marijuana regs and licenses out on time, but they just couldn't seem to do that for ammunition...

      Delete
  3. Hey Murphy;

    I remember you talking to the GemTech people during NRAAM about it and you were real excited. You going to take it to the range anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shot it on the indoor range a bit when I picked it up, just to set the zero on my rifle with it on. It's good. Couldn't try it without the ears though because some guy brought an unsuppressed AR into the range and it was definitely not hearing safe.

      Delete
  4. How long did your tax stamp take? I've been waiting on one since May and keep getting told it should be any day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice HALO. You have inspired me to blog about my not-so-happy HALO outcome and I have now done so.

    ReplyDelete